What is the Basic Systems Repair Program?
The Basic Systems Repair Program (BSRP) provides free repairs to correct electrical, plumbing, heating, structural and roofing emergencies in eligible
owner-occupied homes in Philadelphia.
What types of emergencies are eligible?
You can apply for free major systems repairs if your home’s problems include:
- Dangerous electrical conditions, such as overheating or sparking wiring or entire circuits that won’t stay on
- Leaking or broken sewer lines
- Leaking or broken water service lines
- Violations from the Water Department, Philadelphia Gas Works, PECO or Philadelphia L&I
- Roof leaks which have caused a 4 sq. ft. or larger section of ceiling to collapse (Small roof leaks are not considered emergencies)
- Structural repairs to exterior walls of home (Brick pointing and stucco are not considered emergencies)
Note: All hazardous conditions must be resolvable within grant limits in order for any work to be performed.
What if my heater needs to be repaired?
The Heater Hotline provides free emergency heater repairs for eligible households. If the Heater Hotline staff determine that your heater needs to be replaced, they will forward your application to BSRP.
To apply for heater repairs only, call the Heater Hotline at 215-568-7190.
Who is eligible?
To be eligible for free emergency repairs you must:
♦ Have not have received BSRP services in the last three years.
♦ Own and live in the single-familyhouse with the problem
♦ Be current or under current payment agreement for both your property taxes and your water bill
♦ Meet the income guidelines
♦ Not own any other residential property
Here are some specific examples of what we do and DO NOT cover under the BSRP program
Click on the image to view an ebook or download the BSRP basics brochure.
Income is calculated using gross income for all members of the household.
For households larger than 8, add approx. $3,500 per person. (Exact amount depends on number of people in the household.)
(Income guidelines subject to change)
How do I apply?
The first step in receiving PHDC services is to complete an Expression of Interest form. You may
- Complete and submit online an Expression of Interest form.
- download an Expression of Interest form and return it to PHDC by US Mail to:
PHDC, 1234 Market St., 17th Floor,
Philadelphia, PA 19107
attn: B. Abdullahi
- speak to a PHDC operator by telephone at 215-448-2160, Monday through Thursday from 9am until 4pm and Friday from 9am until Noon
- stop by PHDC’s office at 1234 Market Street, 17th Floor between the hours of 9am and 4pm to complete a written Expression of Interest form
You will need to provide the following information:
- Total gross annual household income
- Source of that income
(employment, SSI, DPA, etc.)
- Number of people in your household
You will need to submit proof of your emergency before your case will be accepted. Proof can be:
- Violation notice from L & I
- Notice of defect from water department
- Heater “tag” or notice of defect from PGW
- Clear photos showing damage to ceiling from roof leak
- Photos showing accumulation of sewage in basement from plumbing leak
Instructions on how to submit violations and photos will be given to you by the hotline operator
Call the BSRP Hotline at 215-448-2160 Monday through Thursday 9am – 4pm and Friday 9am – Noon. Hearing impaired persons only, call TDD 215-448-2184.